Tonight’s recipe is one that is becoming a regular around our house. Whether you are looking for something easy and relatively quick to make or whether you are looking for a vegetarian option this recipe is a good option.
We enjoy it so much that my wife made a couple of extra batches last week that we put in freezer bags and was good enough for 3-4 meals. As an added bonus, our 2.5 year-old can’t get enough of it.
Unfortunately the pictures I tried to take of it won’t upload so I cannot share one with you this time.
Here is the recipe:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large can (28 ounces) tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce)can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cilantro, for garnish, optional
- In a large pan, saute the onions and spices with oil. Add peppers and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add cocoa, tomatoes, and water; bring to a boil. Add kidney and black beans, corn and bulgur.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. or until bulgur is cooked. Add salt and pepper, to taste. To serve, sprinkle with cilantro.