With one day left in 2011 I took a few minutes earlier to think back on the year I have had in terms of running. It was another good year for me in which I managed to accomplish a number of things:
- With two 10 km races and a half-marathon before May I added more shorter races to help with my marathon training.
- I ran the Ottawa Marathon for the third year in a row and as part of that raised funds for the Ottawa Hospital for the second year in a row.
- I ran in a kilt race for the first time.
- I paced a half-marathon for the first time when I paced the 1:50 group in the Army Run half-marathon this year.
- I ran my first sub 20 minute 5 km in October.
- In November I ran the Philadelphia Marathon and beat my previous marathon PB by 2.5 minutes with a time of 3:20.
- Finally, this past week I passed my mileage from 2010 – currently at 3,133.4 km or 1947 miles with a final run to go tomorrow.
While my overall goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon remains a work in progress I am pleased with what I managed to accomplish in 2011. Hopefully I can build on the progress I made this year and take some of what I learned this year to have an even better 2012!
How was your 2011?
Now that the Perth Kilt Run is out of the way I still have a few races scheduled between now and the end of the year.
So far, my next race is the 5 Peaks Camp Fortune trail race next month. I did the 12 km race last year and am planning to do the same distance again. I did this one last year and quite enjoyed it. I figure doing it again this year will give me a nice diversion from my usual training. You can read about last year’s experience here.
Following that I am scheduled to be a pace bunny in the Army Run half-marathon. I have participated in the run for the past two year and last year as a pace bunny for the first time. You can read about that experience here.
Finally, in November I am running the Philadelphia Marathon which is my goal race for the second half of the year. The goal for that one will be to improve on my 3:23 from the Ottawa Marathon in May.
So far that is my schedule of races for the rest of the year. However, I am toying with the idea of finding a 5 km in order to see how fast I could run it. During the kilt I was on pace for a sub 20 minute 5 km so if I can find a 5 km race around here either this month or next month I will probably add that to my list.
What are your race plans for the rest of the year?