Tonight’s recipe is a new one in our house. My wife came across the recipe in a magazine the other day. The addition of frozen corn to the recipe was her idea. We had it tonight and I enjoyed it enough that I already have leftovers packed for my lunch tomorrow. In terms of nutrition for runners, it is a good source of protein and carbs.
To make the recipe you will need the following:
- 1 ib of boneless skinless chicken chicken thighs chopped into cubes
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper
- 2 tpsp of vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup sodium reduced chicken broth
- 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 cup frozen corn
Toss the chicken with half of the chili powder, salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven heat half of the oil over medium heat and brown the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a bowl.
Heat the remaining oil in a pan and cook the garlic with the remaining chili powder, salt and pepper until softened.
Stir in rice and chipotle and cook for two minutes.
Stir in broth and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add chicken and black beans. Cook covered until the rice is tender. Stir in cilantro.